Friday, October 20, 2006

postmodernity as a nag

Something keeps nagging in my mind around the subject of postmodernism particularly in the (south) African context. I can't seem to wrap my fingers around it yet. I hear and read some commentators particularly church commentators in my own denomination who are broaching the subject and I wonder: how possible is it that what they call postmodern reality with its relativism of varying degrees, has always been part of African religio-cultural reality?
 
I ask because of my observation that for most commentators and religionists, their backgrounds have been more homogenous religio-culturally. There never was much contestation of ideas save those they classified as non-religious. But the African reality from the early days of colonialism seems to have had western religious traditions imposed (sometimes), imbibed (sometimes), and these co-existing with African traditions in the same villages, clans, etc.

No comments: