Wednesday, December 06, 2006

We can't keep ignoring Islam forever

I am a christian with a basic theological training. This training has widened my scope concerning the christian faith, the development of its doctrines, the differences between different communities and the plethora of theological opinion. Naturally, only wilful disregard of the facts or realities of the faith can allow one to hold tenaciously to the purity and rightness of all their theological method and opinion against the rest. Indeed, it was the learned opinion of some scholar that because of the diversity observable among the followers of Christ, it would be proper to speak of 'christianities'. He thought that this would acknowlegde the fundamental diversity embodied by different theological communities.
 
Now, what this awareness of the diverse nature of christian theology therefore practice aroused in me was a question regarding Islam. I wondered if Islam is this monolithic movement I hear others talk about. Is there only one way of interpreting the Quran? Well, I chanced a very informative website which is very well written. I think it is quite an eye opener for the curious. You can visit it here if you are interested.

 

No comments: