Friday, April 20, 2007

You are a false teacher, they said

With what do you allay somebody's fear that you are a false prophet or teacher about whom the Bible spoke? And how do you exactly handle that when it is somebody in your cngregation who says so in an open forum?

Well, let me give you a bit of background. You see, at our church, we decided to confront the problem of desertion of our cell groups head on. We held a conference the purpose of which was to re-present the vision and mission of the church, achievements and problems encountered and hear what our members experience as challenges that might be responsible for 'low morale'.

It was in one of the sessions where group leaders were reporting back on the experiences of their group members that 'a fear of my being a false teacher/prophet' was expressed as one of the contributing factors.

How did I respond to that? Well, I told them that I have no way of proving that I am or I am not. I indicated that I know that I love Jesus and desire to always follow him in my times without fetters of tradition. I further emphasized that it is their responsibility as individual Christians to watch lest they be misled even by me. Besides that, well, nothing! How about that?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.